Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Page Number: 374
Series: The Hunger Games Trilogy - Book 1
SYNOPSIS VIA AUTHOR WEBSITE

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


MY RATING:
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

Why the heck did it take me so long to read this book?! I just... It's amazing. If you have not read this book GO READ IT. I can barely refrain from leaving right now to get Catching Fire.

In the nation of Panem, there is the Capitol and its twelve outlying districts. Every year, each district must send one boy and one girl to the Capitol to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. When Katniss steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she knows she could die, but she also knows she has to try to survive. Because the Hunger Games isn't just about winning, its about not losing yourself.

The best way I can think to describe Katniss is strong. While maybe lacking a little charisma, she is fiercely loyal and protective of those she cares about. She's also quick and smart, which I absolutely love in a character. However, I kind of hated how much she second guessed people *cough* Peeta *cough*. She seems to find it so hard to trust at times, but living in the society she lives in, I guess it's understandable. By the end of the last page I was freaking out while resisting the urge to strangle our dear narrator and take Peeta for myself.

Peeta is the boy with the bread. Who doesn't like bread, right? Peeta is smart, sweet, and cares so much for Katniss. SPOILER! Highlight the blank space to view. He doesn't react the way you may expect at the end of the book either. He doesn't just shrug off Katniss' admission and say he pretended to love her too, which honestly broke my heart. END SPOILER! If Katniss decides she doesn't want him, I'd be happy to take her place.

Prim was adorable. Even though she didn't get much page time in this book, I feel like I really got to know her through Katniss' eyes. I hope I get to see more of her in the future. Haymitch was an awesome character. He's terrible (in a good way ;)), and I loved reading about him. Gale was also a nice character. I don't feel like I know him all that well yet, but I'm eager to learn more about him.

Action, suspense, and amazing characters are only a small part of what makes this book addicting. Not only am I addicted to this series, but I think I might be addicted to dystopian. Trust me, you read this, and you will not be sorry. I'm hooked!

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble

FIND SUZANNE COLLINS:

Goodreads ~ Website 

No comments: