Friday, September 16, 2011

The Word on the Shelf: Cover Trends

The Word on the Shelf is a discussion post here on FBH. On the third Friday of every month, I will be voicing my opinion about a book-related topic and hopefully hearing your opinion in return. Since I really would like this to be a discussion, please feel free to talk amongst yourselves in the comments.

So, the Word on the Shelf this month is cover trends (in YA). Everyone's heard the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover," but with the mass amount of books following certain trends/ themes it really makes me wonder if one trend sells more than others.

I know I'm not the only one that has fallen victim, so to speak, to popular cover trends. I actually spent some time looking at the covers of books on my shelf, books on my wishlist, and books I've used for weekly memes here on the blog. One of the things I'm constantly admitting to loving is the "girl in dress" cover trend.


Even more specific is the "girl in red dress" trend, which is showing up more and more on YA covers.



Just from comments on previous posts I've mine, I know I'm not the only one to fall head over heels for the dress cover trend. Another trend that overpopulates my shelf is the "half a face" or "no face" trend.


Another trend that is not quite so popular, I think, but gaining is the "object on solid black" trend. This includes books like:



These are the most popular trends on my shelf. I think my personal favorite would be the "girl in dress" trend. It gets me every time. Please leave a comment if you can. Let me know if you liked this post and if I can improve it. Also, the discussion question this month is:

What cover trend is your favorite/ most owned?

No comments: