Monday, September 5, 2011

Review: From Bad to Cursed

Title: From Bad to Cursed
Author: Katie Alender
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Page Number: 442
Series: Bad Girls Don't Die Series - Book 2
SYNOPSIS VIA GOODREADS

Alexis is the last girl you'd expect to sell her soul for beauty and popularity. After all, she already has everything she needs--an adorable boyfriend, the perfect best friend, and a family that finally seems to be healing after her sister Kasey's unfortunate possession by an evil spirit.

But then Kasey tells Alexis about the mysterious new club she has joined, and the oath she has taken to someone named Aralt. Worried that Kasey's gotten in over her head again, Alexis and her best friend Megan decide to investigate by joining the Sunshine Club, too. At first, their connection with Aralt seems harmless. Alexis tries a new -- normal-- look, and finds herself reveling in her elegance and success.
 
Still, despite the Sunshine Club's outward perfection, the group is crumbling from within, and soon Alexis finds herself battling her own personal demons. She can hardly even remember why she joined in the first place. Surely it wasn't to destroy Aralt...why would she hurt someone who has given her so much, and asked for so little in return?

 MY RATING: 
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

It has become apparent to me that while reading Katie Alender's books empty rooms are safest. After this second installment to the Bad Girls Don't Die series, simply avoiding dolls won't protect you. Not from the ghosts Alexis has to deal with.

When Kasey tells Alexis about the new club she's joined and the oath she made to someone named Aralt, Alexis starts to worry Kasey got involved with something she couldn't handle... again. In an effort to investigate, Alexis and Megan join the Sunshine Club, too. At first the oath she'd taken didn't seem to be having any affect. But Alexis soon gets wrapped up with Aralt and all of her success... and her own personal demons.

First of all, unless you have read this book, you have no idea how absolutely frustrating it is. You do not know how many times I wanted to shake Alexis silly, or how many times I wanted to slap sense into her. As the story is told through her point of view, I was literally reading along her path to insanity. Come to think of it, I wanted to shake a lot of people. I was upset with Kasey, but I was happy to get to know her better. Megan upset me for the same reason Alexis did. I'd also shake some sense into Carter, but not for the same reasons I'd shake the others. I miss the Carter I met in the first book, and I really hope that old Carter emerges again. Alexis and Kasey's parents were a little less absent in this one, but were still not there overall.

The plot and characters in this fantastic series continued to draw me in. With a new and even more terrifying ghost to deal with, I was constantly on the edge of my seat. The phrase "Stay sunny" has never seemed so threatening as when I was reading this book. I am thoroughly hooked, and I can't wait to read the third book in the trilogy when it comes out.

And if you'd like to get a better sense of what From Bad to Cursed is about, I've pulled the trailer. I couldn't resist.


PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES:

Bad Girls Don't Die

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND KATIE ALENDER:

1 comment:

Katie Alender said...

April, I'm just seeing this review and wanted to say a belated thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!