Monday, September 5, 2011

Cover Crazy: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Cover Crazy is a weekly meme hosted by The Book Worms.

Here is how Cover Crazy works:
  1. Cover Crazy will be posted on Mondays.
  2. Each week I will show a cover that I am completely crazy about.
  3. The point of this meme is to admire the art and beauty of a book’s design, but I will also provide a synopsis along with the title, author, and of course cover picture and what I like about it.
  4. In the comments section below, please feel free to share your thoughts, feelings, inspirations, etc. about the cover (but be respectful about it).
  5. If you decide to start your own Cover Crazy, please give credit to The Book Worms.

My cover this week is:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
I've heard mixed reviews about this book, but the cover has me intrigued. I want to know what's going on so badly. But the thing is, this cover brings so many questions to mind. First of all, who's the guy? Is he helping her out of the water or trying to drown her? Assuming it's the latter, why would he be trying to drown her? Is the dress she's wearing just for the sake of the cover's pretty-ness or does it have something to do with the story? You know what? I think this cover might literally be making me crazy.

SYNOPSIS VIA GOODREADS

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
 
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
 
There is.
 
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
 
She's wrong.

What are your thoughts on this cover?

6 comments:

Carmel @ Rabid Reads said...

There's definitely a lot going on with this cover. I hadn't really though about whether she was being drowned or helped out of the water. I'm even more curious now!

My Cover Crazy

Cleo said...

LOVE this cover!! I think its really cool how she's submerged under water... But that is a good question about whether she's being drowned or not. I've never thought of it in that way before :)
Great pick this week!

Pixie said...

Great pick - this cover will definitely grab peoples attention.

A Backwards Story said...

This is one of my favorite covers this year.

And you know what? I really liked this book!

Laura (All of Everything) said...

This book was fantastic. I like the idea of whether or not the guys helping her and the cover seems just as mysterious as the story!

Andrea said...

I love the intrigue of this cover. I also can't quite tell if the guy is trying to save her or hold her under.

Also, thank you so much for adding the Reading Lark button. I have added you to our favorites blog roll. :)

Reading Lark's Cover Crazy