Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Review: Thirteen Days to Midnight

Title: Thirteen Days to Midnight
Author: Patrick Carman
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Page Number: 296
Series: None
SYNOPSIS VIA GOODREADS

You are indestructible. Three whispered words transfer an astonishing power to Jacob Fielding that changes everything. At first, Jacob is hesitant to use the power, unsure of its implications. But there's something addictive about testing the limits of fear.

Then Ophelia James, the beautiful and daring new girl in town, suggests that they use the power to do good, to save others. But with every heroic act, the power grows into the specter of a curse. How to decide who lives and who dies?
 
In this nail-biting novel of mystery and dark intrigue, Jacob must walk the razor thin line between right and wrong, good and evil, and life and death. And time is running out. Because the Grim Reaper doesn't disappear. . . . He catches up.

MY RATING:
Mostly Reeled In!

MY THOUGHTS:

Thirteen Days to Midnight introduced me to a really unique idea. I don't think I've ever read anything quite like this before, and I wish I could have given it a higher rating. Despite the few things that drew me away from the story (stated below) I really did enjoy this book!

Jacob Fielding's life was changed by three whispered words. He's given a power has can't even begin to understand. When Ophelia James moves to town, she suggests they use the power for good. But with each act, the power becomes more of a curse. How can they decide who lives and who dies?

The last words Jacob remembers before the accident that killed his foster father were "You are indestructible." Jacob doesn't understand how he could have survived while his foster father didn't... that is until Ophelia, Oh, comes to town. When Jacob accidentally says those same three words to Oh, she comes out of a skateboarding crash that could have killed her... unharmed. The idea of this power was really fascinating to me. It protects the person it inhabits from harm (including punches, kicks, burns, and apparently car accidents). The direction the author took the story was very fast-paced, but also kind of dark. After all, messing with death is a dangerous business.

I normally don't enjoy books from guy's perspectives as much as those from girl's perspectives. But Jacob wasn't a bad narrator. He was polite and caring. The thing that bothered me about him was that he didn't really have much of a backbone. He let himself get pushed around a lot (by Oh, might I add), and when he finally stands up for himself (not to Oh) it's using his fists. Boys. Oh was an unusual character. She started off kind of quirky and sweet, but became increasingly darker as the story progressed. She was, however, not as strong as I think she could have been. Milo was a good friend to Jacob and Oh. You could see a progression in Milo as the story went on.

Now, why I only gave this book a 3.5. First of all, I felt that the beginning could have been stronger. It felt too fast to me. I was thrown into the action without a good understanding of what was going on. The ending also felt a bit hazy. I don't think it was the resolution I needed. My rating was also effected by what I said of the characters above. I was pretty reeled into the story, but I'm not sure I'd look for more if this were to continue as a series.

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND PATRICK CARMAN:

No comments: