Friday, August 12, 2011

Review: If I Stay

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Dutton Books
Page Number: 196
Series: If I Stay Series - Book 1
SYNOPSIS VIA GOODREADS

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make -and the ultimate choice Mia commands.


 
MY RATING:
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

*cries* It's over already? *sniffle*

Seriously, though, I LOVED this book. Fair warning of fangirly gushing. I am certain I cried a few times while reading this book. That is how amazing it was. You should read it, if you haven't already.

After a car accident that takes her family's lives, Mia finds herself watching her own body being taken to the hospital. While in a coma, she relives memories of her life with her family while Adam, her boyfriend, waits for her to wake up. But the choice is hers. Will she move on or stay?

If I Stay is... Well it's... It's breathtaking. I cannot explain to you how much I loved this book. It goes back and forth between the present day and the time before the accident. During these flashbacks, we get to meet Mia's family, which makes the accident that much sadder. To see everything that Mia lost in that one moment deepens the air of tragedy that surrounds this book.

Mia was just about to be accepted to Julliard before the accident, but she is still facing the same question: should I go or should I stay. She could go and follow her dream of being a cellist, or she could stay and be with her family and boyfriend. After the accident, while it is different circumstances, the question remains. She could go and be with her family wherever they may be, or she can stay and live out her life with Adam.

There's also Kim, Mia's best friend. I love their relationship and getting to know her. When I read this book I could literally feel the grief Mia felt. And Adam as well. Did I forget to mention that you get to meet Adam in Mia's flashbacks, too? You get to experience the love that they share and cry at the same time. Adam sits by Mia's side, afraid to lose her, but willing to let her go as long as she lives. And...

Gosh! I'm tearing up and I'm only writing a review. Go read this book so I'm not the only one crying. I'm hooked! *blubbering*

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND GAYLE FORMAN:

Blog ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Website

No comments: