Friday, August 26, 2011

Review: The Gathering

Title: The Gathering
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Harper Teen
Page Number: 359
Series: Darkness Rising Trilogy - Book 1
SYNOPSIS VIA AUTHOR WEBSITE

Maya lives in a small medical-research town on Vancouver Island. How small? You can’t find it on the map. It has less than two-hundred people, and her school has only sixty-eight students–for every grade from kindergarten to twelve.

Now, strange things are happening in this claustrophobic town, and Maya’s determined to get to the bottom of them. First, the captain of the swim team drowns mysteriously in the middle of a calm lake. A year later, mountain lions start appearing around Maya’s home, and they won’t go away. Her best friend, Daniel, starts experiencing “bad vibes” about certain people and things. It doesn’t help that the new bad boy in town, Rafe, has a dangerous secret…and he’s interested in one special part of Maya’s anatomy: Her paw-print birthmark.

 MY RATING: 
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

When I first picked up this book, I was a little apprehensive. I really enjoyed the first trilogy in this series, and I missed reading about the characters, but I didn't want my view of those books to be affected if I didn't like this new set of characters. Silly me thinking I'd be disappointed.

Maya lives in a medical research town on Vancouver Island so small it's not even on the map. Strange things start happening around the claustrophobic town, and Maya is determined to get to the bottom of them. When the new boy in town, Rafe, starts taking an interest in Maya, she soon learns he's harboring dark secrets. And one of those secrets may be connected to his interest in her: her paw-print birthmark.

First of all, I love that this story is set in Canada. In a national park, no less. It was a stark contrast to New York where the first trilogy was set. A huge portion of this story takes place out in the forest, and I kind of wanted to go out and read in the woods near my house just so I could be more involved with the story.

Maya was an interesting character. She was so different from Chloe. Where Chloe was shy and sweet Maya was outgoing and direct. I really need to stop comparing these books. I'm curious to learn more about what Maya is. Her powers were defined only vaguely, and I've never read about anyone quite like her. On to Rafe. I didn't feel an immediate connection with Rafe, and I kept second guessing him. I did like him, just not as much as I hoped. I might grow fonder of him in the next books. Daniel was a character I really liked. He was protective and sweet, and he and Maya had a wonderful relationship. Maya's parents... What? Yes, she has parents. She has a normal (sort of), close, caring relationship with her parents. I loved every scene between the three of them, as Maya was constantly teasing them.

Then there was the cliff-hanger, that I was dreading, but knew would be there. Sigh. Now I want the second book all the more. I need to know what happens because I am hooked!

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND KELLEY ARMSTRONG:

2 comments:

BJ @ Dark Side of the Covers said...

I hate cliffhangers, but Kelley Armstrong remains one of my fav authors...the rest of her writing is so good, I can handle the ending. Even if it makes me grumble a bit. :)

I'm really curious to see what happens next, and I wonder if the characters from the first trilogy will make an appearance in this one?

Good review!

April said...

BJ:

Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite authors as well. The cliffhangers prove how awesome her writing is because I can't wait to read the next book. I'm curious to see what will happen, too. I did hear that the characters from the first trilogy will make an appearance, but probably not until the last book. I think I read that on her website... Thanks for the visit!