Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: Bad Girls Don't Die

Title: Bad Girls Don't Die
Author: Katie Alender
Publisher: Disney - Hyperion Books
Page Number: 346
Series: Bad Girls Don't Die Series - Book 1
SYNOPSIS VIA GOODREADS

When Alexis's little sister Kasey becomes obsessed with an antique doll, Alexis thinks nothing of it. Kasey is a weird kid. Period. Alexis is considered weird, too, by the kids in her high school, by her parents, even by her own Goth friends. Things get weirder, though, when the old house they live in starts changing. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in. Kasey is changing, too. Her blue eyes go green and she speaks in old-fashioned language, then forgets chunks of time.
 
Most disturbing of all is the dangerous new chip on Kasey's shoulder. The formerly gentle, doll-loving child is gone, and the new Kasey is angry. Alexis is the only one who can stop her sister — but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?
 

 MY RATING: 
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

And here we have another example of my obsession with ghost stories. If they weren't so amazing I'd say it was a problem. Guess it's a good thing Bad Girls Don't Die fell right into the category of amazing.

Alexis thinks nothing of her sister's new obsession with an antique doll. Kasey was a weird kid. When things start changing around their house, however, Alexis begins to take notice. Because Kasey is changing, too. Becoming weirder. She forgets chunks of time in which her blue eyes go green and she speaks in an old fashioned language. That's not all, though. Kasey starts becoming angry, and Alexis may be the only one that can stop her sister... that is if the girl is even Kasey anymore.

This book by Katie Alender has all the things you love to find in ghost stories. Suspense, spine-chilling encounters, mystery, and a blossoming romance. Maybe you don't look for the romance, but Bad Girls Don't Die has it all. Can I just say: I knew there was a good reason dolls creep me out. Katie Alender has provided a pretty solid reason to avoid them. The characters and plot were original, and there was not a single moment that I was bored or felt as though I had read this book before.

Alexis is described as being the school outcast who doesn't even fit in with the misfits she hangs out with. She's got that bad girl vibe, and she tries extra hard to not be like everyone else. This quality made her so interesting in my eyes. I can't think of any book with a character quite like her. Despite her best efforts, though, Alexis can't help falling for Carter, the preppy boy with a dark past. To be honest, I couldn't help falling for him either... not that I was really trying to avoid it. Carter is sweet and tolerant, and I wish I would have gotten to see more of him in this book.

Kasey. Creeped. Me. Out. I swear there were a few times that I jumped just because she walked into the room. I really want to read more of her, but when she's less girl-obsessed-and-possibly-possessed-by-a-jealous-ghost. Megan was interesting as well. I'd love to get to know her better. Oh and let's not forget that this story is another with the oh so common (and convenient) absentee parents.

So, this story was amazing. With a fantastic set of characters and a spin-chilling plot, I can't wait to read the next book... Hopefully in a place without any dolls... I'm hooked!

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND KATIE ALENDER:

No comments: