Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: The Awakening

Title: The Awakening
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Harper Collins
Page Number: 357
Series: Darkest Powers Trilogy - Book 2
SYNOPSIS VIA AUTHOR WEBSITE

If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I’m a living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I can raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever. I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends and we have to find someone who can help us gain our freedom back before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.
MY RATING:
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

This second installment to the Darkest Powers trilogy was just as gripping as the first. With the character's I loved from the first book and a continuation of the suspenseful story line, I can safely say I love this book.

Chloe Saunders is a necromancer. That means she can communicate and raise the dead. It's not exactly something she loves doing either. After discovering that they were science experiments, Chloe and her supernatural friends from Lyle House are running for their lives, hoping to gain back their freedom before the Edison Group finds them. They'll escape or die trying.

As it was with the first book, Kelley Armstrong's writing drew me in and kept the pages turning. The suspense kept my heart racing, and the characters kept me interested. A little bit of a love triangle began forming in this second installment, and I think I know who I'd want Chloe to end up with, but I'd be ok with either boy.

You can see Chloe starting to grow as a character as the story goes on. She's very reluctant to be a necromancer, but she's learning how to better control her powers while, at the same time, trying to come to terms with what the Edison Group may have done. I found her to be a really strong character. She may be very peppy, but I think that really enhances who she is as a character. Tori, a temperamental young witch, was at odds with the other characters nearly the entire book. Her banter with Derek was probably my favorite part. While she seems to be making an effort with Chloe, it doesn't turn out so well with Simon always ready to step in, which annoyed her further. Simon is a sorcerer that could use a little more practice. He stands to be the boy Chloe's interested in for most of the story, and he's always ready to stand up for her. Derek, a troubled werewolf, continues to battle his changes, with the help of Chloe. You start to see a little more of his caring side, at least toward Chloe, in this book. I'm eager to see where the relationship will go in the future.

Armstrong leaves us with another hardly bearable cliff hanger that made the wait for the final installment in the trilogy extremely challenging. With a unique story, amazing characters, and outstanding writing, I'm hooked!

PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES:

The Summoning

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND KELLEY ARMSTRONG:

Blog ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Website

1 comment:

BJ @ Dark Side of the Covers said...

Kelley Armstrong is among my favorite writers, and this trilogy is right up there too. Derek's character won me over completely in the first book, and I love the way he evolves.

Have fun with book #3!