Sunday, July 24, 2011

Review: The Summoning

Title: The Summoning
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Harper Collins
Page Number: 390
Series: Darkest Powers Trilogy - Book 1
SYNOPSIS VIA AUTHOR WEBSITE


Chloe Saunders sees dead people. Yes, like in the films. The problem is, in real life saying you see ghosts gets you a one-way ticket to the psych ward. And at 15, all Chloe wants to do is fit in at school and maybe get a boy to notice her. But when a particularly violent ghost haunts her, she gets noticed for all the wrong reasons. Her seemingly crazed behaviour earns her a trip to Lyle House, a centre for disturbed teens.
At first Chloe is determined to keep her head down. But then her room mate disappears after confessing she has a poltergeist, and some of the other patients also seem to be manifesting paranormal behaviour. Could that be a coincidence? Or is Lyle House not quite what it seems…? Chloe realizes that if she doesn’t uncover the truth, she could be destined for a lifetime in a psychiatric hospital. Or could her fate be even worse…? Can she trust her fellow students, and does she dare reveal her dark secret?

MY RATING:
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

This book was amazing! I absolutely love this series to death! Anyhoo, I've always had this thing for ghosts. I especially loved reading about them, so when I saw that this book involved ghosts I knew I would like it. But Chloe doesn't just see ghosts, and the other kids in Lyle House aren't troubled in the sense that is implied.

The story line is very gripping. With these books, it's very hard to stop reading. Another thing I loved: there was enough suspense to get my heart racing. The ghosts are spectacularly creepy, as are some of the other characters. Dr. Davidoff creeped me out from the beginning, but all will be revealed in the end.

Onto the less creepy characters. Chloe was a very relatable character, despite the fact that I've never been sent to a home for "disturbed teens." I found her interest in film to be very cool. Liz was my favorite female character, besides Chloe. She was quirky, and funny, and very welcome to someone who could have been crazy. Then, there's Tori. She's like that average mean girl that ends up completely surprising you, but revealing why she's surprising would spoil the story. Next is Simon. I really loved Simon. He was very cute. Derek was the complete opposite of Simon. He was very dark, mysterious, and brooding, but he added a lot of laughs to the story among all the creepiness. And, no surprise here, I loved him, too.

The ending KILLED me. I was so excited to see what happened, and then there was a cliffhanger. It wasn't a bad cliffhanger (trust me I've read bad cliffhangers), but it was just enough that I wanted to rush out to buy the next book. The Summoning was very well-written, with an interesting and unique storyline. It was definitely one of the books that takes you to another world, and I absolutely loved it. I'm hooked!

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND KELLEY ARMSTRONG:

Blog ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Website 

No comments: