Saturday, July 23, 2011

Review: My Soul to Take

Title: My Soul to Take
Author: Rachel Vincent
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Page Number: 279
Series: Soul Screamers Series - Book 1
SYNOPSIS VIA AUTHOR WEBSITE


SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH KAYLEE CAVANAUGH...

She doesn't see dead people, but she senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.
Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about the need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next...

SOUL SCREAMERS
The last thing you hear before you die...

MY RATING:
Hooked!

MY THOUGHTS:

One of the things that first drew me toward this book was the idea of bean sidhes, or banshees as they are more commonly known. I was really curious to see how someone could make an interesting story out of women in long, flowing dresses who scream for the dead. However, much like Kaylee, I learned that the lore we know is wrong.

When Kaylee senses that someone near her is going to die she must scream for the soul. A lot of the time, she can't even control her scream. That is without Nash around. I found it really interesting that in this world Rachel Vincent created, there are also male bean sidhes. I loved Nash with Kaylee. He was such a perfect counterpart. Emma was also a great character. She was kind of a polar opposite to Kaylee, but their friendship is amazing. I mean, we all need a friend, and Emma played that role perfectly. Tod was a great character. He added a lot of humor to the story, and introduced us to another side of the Netherworld. I can't wait to get to know him better in future books.

The other side characters, like Brendan, Val, and Sophie were great, too. But that ending? I didn't see that coming. So overall, the idea for this series was amazing, I loved the characters, and it was very well written! I'm really excited for the next read! I'm definitely HOOKED!

PURCHASE THIS BOOK:

Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Borders

FIND RACHEL VINCENT:

Blog ~ Facebook ~ Formspring ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Website  



No comments: